The Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) has just released a Discussion Paper seeking your comments on “Reducing Litter and Waste in our Communities”. The paper can be found on the Environmental Registry of Ontario (ERO) website here: March 6 2019 Discussion Paper.
The paper provides more details on the actions and commitments related to waste that were outlined in the November 2018 “Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan” and outlines eight areas for action:
- prevent and reduce litter in our neighbourhoods and parks
- increase opportunities for Ontarians to reduce and divert waste at home, at work and on the go
- make producers responsible for the waste generated from their products and packaging
- reduce and divert food and organic waste from households and businesses
- reduce plastic waste going into landfills and waterways
- provide clear rules for compostable products and packaging
- recover the value of resources in waste
- support competitive and sustainable end-markets for Ontario’s waste.