The Municipal Waste Association is pleased to announce to launch of the 2021 Promotion & Education (P&E) Awards!
This annual recognition program is a way for us to celebrate the ingenuity of our colleagues across the municipal waste sector. It’s an opportunity to share the promotion, education, and public engagement activities that have led to better waste management practices across our communities.
If your municipality created an innovative campaign, tool, strategy, event, or program that engaged residents in waste reduction in 2020, consider submitting it for an award. The Submission Form can be found at the end of this page.
You may notice that the award categories look a little different this year. For example, we have absorbed the Calendar category from previous years into the Print Tool category, have added categories for Special Events, and Community Engagement and Outreach Programs, and added a “Surprise Us” category. We feel this change better reflects the types of promotion, education, and engagement activities currently being tested and rolled out. We have also shaped our questions with an increased focus on creativity, novelty, innovation, and potential value to others’ learning. We hope this encourages municipalities to really focus on what sets their submission apart from the rest and from what they’ve done before, and hopefully leads to more actionable innovations shared across the network. Lastly, you will notice we have reduced many of the categories down to one stream for all municipalities. Population size does not have any real weight in how we score submissions on planning, effectiveness or novelty and innovation. What your submission has achieved given your goals, resources and past activities is what’s truly important.
We look forward to reviewing your submissions and we wish you good luck!
– MWA P&E Awards Committee
Campaign: This award recognizes a waste management promotion and education campaign that uses a number of different communication tools to inform, educate and motivate residents. This category has 2 streams based on municipality size:
- Large Municipality (50,001 households or more)
- Small Municipality (50,000 households or less)
Print Tool: This award recognizes a promotion and education tool that appears in printed form (booklet, brochure, calendar, newsletter, pamphlet, poster, print advertisement, etc.) that is new and innovative to your municipality and that others can learn from. This category has 1 stream for all municipalities.
Social Media & Online Strategy: This award recognizes a buzz-worthy social media or online strategy (e.g. online advertisement, social media campaign, interactive website). We are looking for submissions that go beyond third-party tools and reminder apps. Show us something new, unique, and innovative. This category has 1 stream for all municipalities.
Special Event: This award recognizes a municipality’s organization of or participation in a special community event (e.g. Repair Cafes, Reuse Days, Ribfest) that directly reduced or diverted waste in a significant way. This category has 1 stream for all municipalities.
Community Engagement and Outreach Program: This award recognizes a municipality for its approach to community engagement and outreach in 2020 relating to waste management. The approach is meaningful, inclusive, and impactful. Examples could include a combination of webinars, workshops, surveys, booths, or other community engagement and outreach programs. This category has 1 stream for all municipalities.
“Surprise Us” Category: This award recognizes a P&E project that is innovative and unique and does not fit within any of the above categories. This category has 1 stream for all municipalities.
- Submissions must be campaigns, tools, strategies, events, or programs used between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020.
- Submissions are 100% digital this year! All submissions must be entered online via the submission form. If you want to save and return to your answers later, you must advance to the next page (click “next”) to save your work. You can even return to the form after you have submitted it (until the deadline), as long as you are using the same device. We recommend answering the questions in a word document then copying and pasting them into the form all at once.
- Submissions could be related to any municipal waste management or diversion program, project or event, including but not limited to recycling, organics, household hazardous waste, user-pay or bag limits, public strategic planning sessions, etc.
- Maximum of one submission per award category, per municipality.
- Submissions must achieve a score of at least 45 to be eligible for an award; as a result, Gold, Silver, and Bronze may not be awarded in each category.
- Winners will be announced and the awards will be presented online via P&E Awards Zoom Ceremony on Wednesday, June 2.
- Winners will be asked to present their success stories and tips to MWA members at later date in 2021.
Submissions are judged based on planning, implementation, effectiveness, creativity, novelty, and value to others.
The deadline to apply is Monday, April 26, 2021, @ 11:59 PM EST.
How to Submit
Awards submissions must be filled out digitally using this link:
Here is a view-only pdf of the submission form for reference.
If you have any questions, contact Mike Hager, Membership Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (519) 823-1990.