The Municipal Waste Association, formerly known as the Association of Municipal Recycling Coordinators, is an incorporated not-for-profit organization formed in 1987 by Ontario municipal waste management professionals to facilitate the sharing of municipal waste reduction and recycling information and experience. The MWA:
- keeps municipal waste management program operators informed
- works with industry
- undertakes research
- organizes workshops
- provides various specialized services
Most MWA activities are organized by five committees: the Markets, Operations & Contracts Committee; the Organics Committee; the Household Hazardous Waste Committee, the Promotion & Education and the Multi-residential Committee. In addition, the MWA supports the Landfill Forum and the Ontario Food Collaborative (OFC).
The MWA and its many municipal members have been involved in policy-making in Ontario since the late 1980s. We were part of the development team for Waste Diversion Ontario, and we continue to be a partner in the ongoing discussions with the Resource, Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) also known as the “Authority”. As an MWA member, you will receive the MWA newsletter approximately every three months and email bulletins when urgent news breaks or when something comes up that demands action and upcoming event notices.
We are located in Guelph and are happy to answer your questions. You can contact us at (519) 823-1990 or email@example.com
Municipal membership fees range from $110 to $1,995.00 per year based on population number. Corporate membership fees are $475 per year (+HST applies to all memberships) plus a value-add advertising opportunity at $200 to include a Corporate member’s logo and hyperlink on the MWA website.
The MWA’s team of experienced and well-informed professionals has undertaken research and data collection, developed promotional campaigns, facilitated meetings and provided advice for numerous governmental and corporate clients. We also do newsletters, reports, advertisements, and brochures. Let us know what you need.
The MWA Board consists of five at-large members and one delegate from each of the five MWA committees. At-large terms are for two years.
MWA Board of Directors for 2020-2021
- Chair: Melissa Kovacs-Reid (member-at-large) Dufferin County
- Vice-Chair: David Douglas (member-at-large) City of Peterborough
- Treasurer: Adam McCue, (member-at-large) County of Northumberland
- Secretary: Kate Dykman, (member-at-large) City of Vaughan
- Director: Dennis Lam (Chair of MHSW Committee) City of Toronto
- Director: Carol Slaughter (Chair of Multi-Res Committee) Durham Region
- Director: Phil Zigby (Chair of MOC Committee) City of Guelph
- Director: Kathy Raddon, (member-at-large) City of Toronto
- Director: Stephanie Mack (Chair of Organics Committee) District of Muskoka
- Director: Nicole Watt (co-Chair of the P&E Committee) Region of Halton